Conference | FTA International Conference – Future in the Making | Brussels, Belgium | 4-5 June 2018
Future in the Making takes place to explore how to bridge the future with the present through the opportunity to debate insights, from a selection of future-oriented research.
From the 4th to 5th June 2018, the next edition of the FTA International Conference, Future in the Making will take place to explore how to bridge the future with the present. The conference will take place in Brussels at The Square, and is organized by the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission.
Exploring new challenges of policymaking and future-oriented frames and methods to respond to them is the aim of the Joint Research Centre (JRC) FTA2018 conference – Future in the making.
Policymaking is going through a paradigm change.
Today’s policymaking environment is complex. People seem to lose trust in policymakers and democracy.
This is already leading to profound transformation. The number and variety of actors increased. There are new channels of involvement and influence.
Policymakers are confronted with an accelerating speed of change. The emergence of novelty requires not only rapid reaction but also creation of new meaning and sense.
The conference is to contribute to transformation and innovation in policymaking by:
- Presenting and debating insights from recent future-oriented work on specific policy relevant topics;
- Sharing experiences of how foresight has been used in policymaking
- Demonstrating how foresight has influenced policy processes and decisions;
- Supporting the advancement of methods, practices and complementary approaches to changing policymaking needs;
- Stimulating the uptake of these approaches and exchange between practitioners and policymakers.
Themes and strands:
Presentations and discussions will be framed around a set of horizontal themes
- People & Power- New actors, new channels of influence
- Policymaking & Practice – Speed, complexity, urgency
- Perceptions & Potentials – Transitions, trust
Contributions will be organised in three strands
- Challenging insights from recent (policy-oriented) foresights / future studies
- Advances in theory and methodology supporting policymaking
- Experience and explore
The Conference will have a limited number of places.
There is no conference fee charge for participants.
The conference is open to practitioners, researchers, and decision makers from around the globe.